Thursday 23 October 2014

Photo-- Policeman Assaults Banker For Urinating Beside Bank


   There was confusion on the premises of Stanbic IBTC in the Ifo area of Ogun State after a banker, Mr. Ogidan Bolaji, was hit with the butt of a gun by a police officer identified as Kayode Ojo, leaving the 25-year-old victim with a deep cut on his face.
                    The matter, which was said to have been reported at the Sango Police Station, was however, said to have been dismissed by the police authorities.

Bolaji, an indigene of Ewekoro area of the state, said he wanted justice in the matter.
He said he had alighted from his car to make withdrawal from the bank’s ATM when he decided to ease himself.
He said, “I was coming from Ifo with a neighbour. But, on our way, I discovered I was cash-strapped, and needed to make a withdrawal. So, we stopped by at Alisaba, in Ado Odo Ota where the bank is located.
“We parked outside their premises and on getting to the ATM, the security guard said there was no network.
“I was so pressed that I had to urinate beside my car. Before I knew it, a policeman, came out and without any questioning, hit me with his rod. I asked him what I did wrong, but instead of a reply, he slapped me.
“The man in my car and some other security men around the bank came out to intervene. My neighbour was trying to question the policeman on why he slapped me, instead, he cocked his gun and pointed it at me, and I had to run away.
“I told people to caution him not to fire a shot. I was just a bit unfortunate that he caught me at a close corner and I did not have an escape route. He used the butt of the gun to hit me on my face and I sustained a deep cut.”
He said he was rushed to a hospital because he could not go to the station with a blood-stained face.
After treatment, Ogidan said he reported at the Sango Police Station but was disappointed as the police asked him to settle the matter with the police officer.
He said, “The police changed the story and said I and my friend were drunk, and we were peeing around the whole premises without having any transaction in the bank, which were all lies.
“At the end of the day, the police said we should go and settle and the police officer should pay my hospital bill.
“We were also forced to make a statement of withdrawal. I don’t want this matter to die like this because I have been harassed unjustly.”
Another eyewitness, who claimed to be the man with Ogidan in the car, Mr. Kehinde Idowu, corroborated the story.
He said that the police officer had first chased Ogidan around the premises with the gun before hitting his face with its butt.
He added, “We will still take up the matter. I was personally disappointed at what the police told us at the station, but you know in Nigeria if you don’t know anybody, you will just suffer in vain.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, told reporters he was not aware of the incident.
He said, “If they disappointed him in Ota, he should have gone to the Commissioner of Police. It is if the CP disappoints him that he should approach the press for justice. We should try to educate our people. I can’t confirm the story because I am not aware. Let him come to the command and I will personally investigate it and make sure he gets justice.”

Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment