Sunday, 7 September 2014

Lagos Fire Outbreak @ Ajah Renders 300 S*ex Workers Homeless

Following a fire outbreak at Small Kuramo, Jakande, in the Ajah area of Lagos, no fewer than 300 sex workers have been rendered homeless.
The fire incident which was said to have occurred around 11pm on Wednesday, September 3 razed the cabins occupied by sex workers and other residents of Small Kuramo, Jakande, in the Ajah area of Lagos, have been consumed by an overnight fire.

The fire incident was said to have been caused as a result of a generator supplying power to the buildings which exploded in the course of refuelling.
It was learnt that property estimated at millions of naira were lost to the inferno as the shanties were also used for business.
Meanwhile there has been different version from residents on the cause of the fire incident.
There are reports that the fire was caused as a result of a candle stick which fell after it was forgotten by a woman.
A resident, Sodiq Agunbiade, however, said the fire was caused by a woman preparing meal in one of the cabins. While another resident claimed it was caused by suspected hoodlums.
A drink seller, Agundiade in the area who said he lost about N6m to the fire said: “It was very unfortunate. We all did our best, but it was not enough. Many of us still cannot understand how it happened,” he said.
A business owner, Izeigie Papa, aka Paragon, however, accused the men of the Lagos State Fire Service of negligence in delaying to respond to their call for help.
He said: The fire grew into an uncontrollable inferno. We made efforts to put it out, but it didn’t work”. “The fire service men did not respond on time and when they came, things were already out of hand. They didn’t do anything. They only stood like observers.”
Meanwhile the Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Razak Fadipe, said the people in the area obstructed the firemen from doing their job.
He said: “Over 300 bolt up buildings were consumed by the fire while some other buildings were saved with three fire trucks from Eti Osa, Onikan and Sari Iganmu.
“The fire started as a result of a generator that was being fuelled while working. It exploded and while they were trying to battle it on their own, it became uncontrollable.
“On our arrival, we met the raging fire, but we were attacked. Some of the residents also wanted us to start the firefighting from their end, so they were dragging the hose with the firemen and rough handled some of them. They smashed a fire truck windscreen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment