Sunday 28 September 2014

My Husband Caught My Attention 1st Day I Saw Him, Till Today--- 80year Old Woman


 80 year-old, Sarah who born on August 30, 1934 in Ifo Local Government, Abeokuta, Ogun State has revealed that despite her old age that she is still in love with her husband. Mrs. Adeyinka in an interview noted that she still remember everything that happened on her wedding day.
When did you get married?

I got married at a young age. I was 20 years old when I got married. That should be around 1954 but I can’t really remember the exact date. Back then, once one had found a potential partner or spouse, there was no need wasting time. I didn’t see myself as being too young to marry. I loved my husband and he loved me too. There was no need pretending otherwise to ourselves.

How did you meet?
I met him through my brother; he was my brother’s friend. The day he saw me he just liked me and he told my brother that he wanted to marry me. He was based in Lagos while I was based in Ogun State, but we used to visit ourselves regularly. If he wasn’t coming over to see me, I was the one travelling to see him. We courted for two years before getting married.
What qualities attracted him to you?
He was charming and good looking. I liked his physique. So many men had approached me, seeking my hand in marriage but I wasn’t attracted to them. My husband caught my attention the first day I saw him. Till today, I love him; my love for him hasn’t changed. I still remember our wedding day, it was a beautiful day; we danced until we had no more strength left in us. We were so happy and I can never forget that day.
What challenges have you faced in your marriage?
I have a sweet marriage and I still love my husband till today. The only issue I have is his weakness for women. He ended up marrying three more wives after me. When I realised that I couldn’t handle his having other women in the house, I moved out to be on my own. I’m someone that doesn’t like stress; I prefer staying on my own so I can enjoy peace.
How many children do you have?
I have seven children. Some are based in Lagos and others in Ogun State. They are all doing well for themselves.
Are you still married to your husband?
Yes, we are still husband and wife but we live separately. I live in my house here in Lagos while he lives in his house in Sagamu, Ogun State with his younger wife. He came for my 80th birthday. We rekindled our love for each other that day.
How do you mean when you said rekindled your love for each other?
I mean we re-read our marriage vows.
How was it like?
I was happy. We danced together just like the day we got married
How did you support your husband in raising your children?
I supported him with the money I made from my business. It wasn’t easy but it was worth it. I’m happy that all my children have a means of income and are doing well for themselves.
What is your view on men marrying more than one wife?
It is not something every woman wishes for; I accepted it as my fate. My father also had more than one wife, so I see it as a weakness that is common among men.
What is your advice to young couples?
Life is about patience, there is no reason to rush into marriage. Young women should make sure they go into marriage with their two eyes open. They should also pray very well and listen to their parents’ advice.
At 80, how do you keep yourself busy?
My children set up a shop for me where I sell various food items. This keeps me busy. I don’t like sitting at home from morning to night doing nothing and being idle; I’m used to being busy.
Do you exercise?
Yes, I exercise. I enjoy talking long walks. That is the only type of exercise I enjoy and I’ve made it my exercise routine. I take long walks every Tuesday.
What is your favourite food?
I enjoy eating amala with ewedu and gbegiri. I also enjoy semolina and pounded yam.
What are your hobbies?
I like singing and dancing. Church is my favourite place to be because of the praise and worship songs. My favourite song is Oluwa se mi lore o, (The lord has done me a great favour). When I’m singing and dancing, I’m always full of joy. Life is too short to worry over issues one can’t change.
What has kept you strong till date?
I love efo (vegetables) that is well-prepared, I eat that regularly. I think that is what keeps me strong. Vegetable is good for the body. Eating ewedu too nourishes the body. I don’t joke with fruits, I eat one fruit daily.
How many more years do you hope to live?
I don’t have a particular number in mind; all I pray for is to have a good life. I pray not to be a burden to my children, I also pray against encountering any form of problem that would stress me. I want to continue to live my life in peace until God says it is time for me

No comments:

Post a Comment