Saturday 31 May 2014

Churches Should Not Condone Abusive Men- Funmi Iyanda


  Funmi Iyanda has expressed her opinion on men who beat their women, saying they should be excommunicated from churches. She also gave ladies few rules and made them understand they are the captain of their own ship.
             “No family/church/institution should encourage a daughter to return to an abusive relationship/marriage. If you touch my child, l will kill you.
              ‘Girls, rule 1. There are no princes anywhere waiting to rescue you. You own and owe you; not him or anyone else. Leave at first slap.
              “Churches, if not so concerned with the bottom line of patronage would excommunicate abusive men or women,’’ she said.
Funmi got upset and made those statements when a Twitter user with the handle @Moe narrated how a man almost took the life of his wife who is nursing a baby and how her efforts to separate them was fruitless.
Here is how Moe explained what she witnessed;

“My hands are shaking. I have never seen a woman being beaten like that in my entire life. I have never. I was driving when I noticed strange movements inside a car that was driving in front of me. Before it stopped so abruptly, I noticed weird movements in the driver and front passenger seats.
I wasn’t wearing my glasses. As the car stopped, I came down (from) my car to holler. Next thing I saw clearly. The man (driver) was punching the passenger so hard. He was beating her so ferociously. All windows were up. There was a baby in a baby car seat behind. I kept hitting the windows, at last the man rolled down. At this time I was so furious.
“‘How dare you beat a woman like that?’ was all I kept saying. The man replied ‘I am not a mad man that I will just be beating her for no reason; ask her what she did. See my shirt. She tore it.’
“I went to the passenger’s side, opened the door and asked the woman to come down. She said ‘I do not have anywhere else to go.’ She sat there in the car, the man kept beating her. As he was beating her, he kept screaming ‘How many times? How many times?’

“I kept begging the woman to come down. She just closed the door and rolled up and he kept beating her. I kept hitting the car. Then, they drove off. I don’t even know how to react. I am still on that spot, trying to make sense of what I just experienced.”

No comments:

Post a Comment