Wednesday 6 August 2014

Xavi Finally Quit Spanish National Football Team




    Latest reports suggest Barcelona experienced midfielder Xavi Hernanadez has retired from playing for the Spanish national football team at the age of 34.
The Barcelona player represented his country a record 133 times.

Speaking on his decision to retire in a press conference on Tuesday, 5 August, 2014, Xavi said: “I’ve taken the decision to leave the national team. My time there has finished,” he said. “From now on I’m another fan of the Spain team.
“I’m grateful for all those years.

“It has been a fantastic time. I’m not 20 any more, but I still have the motivation of a kid.
I’m grateful to everybody at the Federation (RFEF), it’s been a marvellous time for me to be there for so many years and have so much success. I’m leaving very proud and I wish them all the best.”

Xavi made his international debut in 2000, the same year as he helped Spain win an Olympic silver medal in Australia.
Further success came in 2008 when he was named player of the tournament as Spain won the European Championship in Austria and Switzerland – the country’s first international success since 1964.
Two years later Xavi was a key part of the Spain squad that won the World Cup for the first time in their history, and then in 2012 he helped his country retain their Euro crown in Poland and Ukraine.
Xavi was a member of the Spain squad which failed to get past the first round at this year’s World Cup in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment