Wednesday, 6 August 2014
Fear of Ebola spread with eight more suspected cases in Lagos
Lagos state Health Commissioner, Jide Idris has announced that the state now has eight suspected cases of Ebola. The infected all came into contact with Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian who died in the major city last month, becoming the country’s first casualty.
It will be recalled that the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, Monday, during the inauguration of the Treatment Research Group Committee on Ebola Virus Disease, disclosed: “When we met last week, I told you that we were still monitoring some of the healthcare workers and
passengers who came in contact with the American-Liberian who brought in Ebola to Nigeria. There were others who attended to him; some have developed symptoms of Ebola
As of today, we now have a case; this is the second case of Ebola virus in Nigeria. This is the doctor who attended to the Ebola patient in the Lagos hospital.”
Further, he said: “Three others are under watch; at the end of today (yesterday) we will know the outcome. Eight of those who had contact with Mr. Sawyer have been quarantined, while 70 of those who had contact with the patient are on surveillance.
”All of these persons are being quarantined in Lagos, where the Lagos State Government has provided isolation wards.”