Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Gas Explosion At University Of Ibadan Injures Medical Student, Hostel Kitchen Burnt

A 100-level medical student of theUniversity of Ibadan (UI), Ogueze Chinyere, sustained serious burns on Monday after her cooking gas exploded.
The incident happened at about 8:02pm at I Block of the Queen Elizabeth II female hostel.
According to an eyewitness, Gbemisola Akinyo, Chinyere wanted to cook in the evening but her camping gas was leaking. So she was asked by her room mates to take it out of the room to the kitchen. The gas cooker was already lit and Chinyere was taking it to the kitchen like that. It was while she was on her way that the gas exploded.
She sustained second degree burns as her legs and other parts of her body were affected. She was rushed to the university’s Jaja Clinic.
The University's fire service allegedly did not respond promptly.
Though no room was affected, part of the hostel's kitchen got burnt.
Speaking about the incident, the institution’s Director of Public Communication, Olatunji Oladejo, said students had been warned against cooking in their rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment